Flieger, grüß' mir die Sonne, grüß' mir die Sterne und grüß' mir den Mond. Dein Leben, das ist ein Schweben, durch die Ferne, die keiner bewohnt! - Hans Albers, F.P.1 antwortet nicht (Adaptation in the 80s: Extrabreit)

Friday 26 February 2016

Flooded by Science

My science expeditions come to a closure.

Work is done, every biome on Minmus has been landed at and all science from the science equipment has been recorded. Time for a break to admire sunset on Minmus. Or is it high noon, here at the polar region?

One last hop back to the equatorial area, because I want a launch into an equatorial orbit. It is a luxury to have plenty of deltaV, thanks to the nuclear engine!


Perfect touchdown with 1m/s, after all that practise. I then launch into equatorial orbit. A resuce mission is waiting there, a new scientist Kerbonaut joins us. After that, the Atomic Kitten immediately departs for Kerbin. I thought about dropping off some science points for the Science Lab in polar orbit. However, it is still stuffed with plenty, so no there need to waste time and deltaV.


In the meanwhile, the Spacefish returns from Mün via five or six rounds of aerobraking. Boring, but aerobraking saves over 900 m/s of deltaV and is indispensable for efficient spaceflight.

The tourist passengers are a good mood. Next itinerary for them: A Minmus flyby (and maybe again a try with a Mün flyby for that one bugged tourist).

Welcome back at Spacewreck Terminal! Docking is a bit difficult because the RCS thrusters of the Mini Lander are not aligned with those of the Spacefish.

The Mini Lander gets undocked and goes back to Kerbin; I have no more use for it, since my new nuclear powered vessel surpass a simple lander vessel in every aspect.

That´s more science points than I expected from a mere four Mün biomes plus low orbit readings from the gravioli detector! Wow! I cannot help but immediately play around with these points. And I find that I have science points for more tech nodes and parts as I can actually pay for to unlock them for use!


The Atomic Kitten with an even higher load of science points is still on its return trip, but I can already unlock all spaceplane related tech nodes and play around with this nice high tech design here. It costs 63,000 Credits, powered by the high tech Rapier and Aerospike engines, and recycles at 100% minus fuel für 60,000 Credits. Which means, simple orbital launches of a satelite and/or up to five passengers will only cost me 3,000 Credits with this high tech spaceplane! For comparision: My old Orbiter launches for 34,000 Credits and recycles only for 20,000 Credits.





No comments:

Post a Comment