Flieger, grüß' mir die Sonne, grüß' mir die Sterne und grüß' mir den Mond. Dein Leben, das ist ein Schweben, durch die Ferne, die keiner bewohnt! - Hans Albers, F.P.1 antwortet nicht (Adaptation in the 80s: Extrabreit)

Monday 22 February 2016

Contemplative Construction

As more and more science points unlock more and more tech nodes, I get hit by the curse of lots of choices. Should I build this? Or better that? Or, how about this?

I had already undocked and prepared a maneuver node to send the Spacefish with the Mün Lander to, well, Mün. Then I thought otherwise and re-docked it. Instead, I first focused on the Minmus Lander and brought it through its aerobraking exercise back to Kerbin.

The Minmus Lander brings back about 2100 science points, and I figured that I should use those before building the next batch of rockets for new missions. I don´t just dock it in orbit and re-use it, because the first thing I am doing with those science points is unlocking the last batch of science equipment.


The new and last batch of science equipment, here driving to the fully upgraded research center.

A new lander, especially small and little deltaV, just enough to undock from the Spacefish and land and come back to it in Mün orbit. This saves a lot of fuel and thus allows for more landings from the Spacefish´s fuel reserves.

Off we go to Mün!

This is where the curse hits and I am off distributing science points on tech nodes and construction new stuff. Finally, some nuclear engines! This design hails from the "Candlekeep"-class from my last career game. Coincidentally, there are three mission contracts requiring me to bring a "space station" into Kerbin orbit, place an "outpost" on Minmus, and bring a "space station" into solar orbit. This thing could do it all in one, netting overall one million credits.

... or maybe, this thing?


Or this thing, being more of a thug concept with high TWR?



Or, how about the good old Navitas-design from my last career game with Poodle engines? It is still most flexible concerning sharing fuel with smaller non-nuclear driven landers, and total deltaV is not so important because it can re-fuel itself at the destination.


And, while I am at it, how about a rover?



... it could fit down there! Ooops. Squashed wheels.

In the end, I have kind of non-progressed through three more game sessions. Hey, it was fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment